Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Daggerbleeding  (Read 9639 times)

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Daggerbleeding
« on: May 24, 2011, 07:07:20 pm »

I like many a DF fan have started only playing Genesis and neglecting the main game but the mod doesnt have many succession games I wish to rectify this so how-bout we get around to setting up a fort here...

And see how far we can get before the fort is killed by ravenous beasts or other such creatures. So does anyone want to volunteer for a turn?

RULES!

1. You must post atleast one update within two days with an upper limit of time being eight days.
2. If the fort dies anticlimactically you can savescum.
3. There are no rules.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 07:10:58 pm by Ahrimahn »

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
Re: Genesis Succesion Game
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 09:34:59 pm »

Will you be taking the first turn? I'd rather not be first.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 10:31:22 pm »

Just uploading the first turns save now  8).

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Daggerbleeding
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 10:31:41 pm »

Just getting the first turn in so that this fort can get off the ground and the hopefully next guy can get it.

Journal Of Magnus

8th Granite

Began farming operations so that we dont starve.

20th Granite

We have struck the first cavern layer and have begun hollowing out a stone pillar for living space.

9th Felsite

Damn idiot carpenter has walled himself into an empty murky pool.

6th Malachite

Get off break you miners we need to get set up!

11th Malachite

Migrants have arrived! Oh and seriously get off your fat ass and work miner... HOLY SHIT ZOMBIE BADGERS JUST APEARED OUT OF NOWHERE! luckily noone died but a mephit was nearly killed.

10th Galena

Found a magma shute and am thinking of starting an earthenware industry.

1st Limestone

Several people had to be left inside because of the zombie badgers attempting to get inside if those badgers dont leave they are dead men walking.

3rd Sandstone

Badgers have left finally letting our hungry dwarves inside.

8th Sandstone

Migrants have arived.

13th Timber

Woodcrafter has been acting wierf claiming a workshop and taking stuff, ive always been worried about the guy but this is weird even for an early outpost.

18th Timber

The caravan has finally arrived!

20th Timber

The Woodcrafter has made an absolutely worthless nice looking thing.

24th Timber

Thief! Skulking Filth! Luckily they where ripped apart by our Hunting Dogs!

13th Obsidian

SIEGE! WEREWOLVES ARE ATTACKING! And the suturer has a fey look in his eye.

27th Obsidian

To finish off my term as leader the Suturer has made an awesome artifact.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4434

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 10:37:46 pm »

Damn it I am not prepared- just give me a bit to upload it.

Oh my god tilesets what have I gotten myself into.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:56:18 am by Katsuun »

Sans context.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 03:04:04 pm »

Did you get the save

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 05:25:23 pm »

Yeah, I'll try to finish the year and update in one go though.

Sans context.

diamondwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 01:49:21 pm »

I know not what genesis is, but I could be persuaded into joining your endeavors.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 04:06:56 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=52988.0;topicseen thats the mod page if you want to find out the details.

diamondwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 04:10:29 pm »

Ah, it is a modification. I suppose that my offer still stands, though I cannot devote much playtime until next week.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 01:38:05 pm »

Incompetence is a sin.

1st of Granite, 92. Journal of 'Kat' Elislodor
My mother always told me- dream big and you'll go far. Or die. One or the other. Father was killed before I was even born- they say he heroically volunteered to take an expedition into the wastes of the north and was never heard from again. I suppose that's why I've always been a bit of a yellow coward- I prefer to take things nice and simple. Why I became a farmer, really, so that I could have an easy, stress free job and still satisfy my natural wanderlust. So I was really surprised when the folk here at Olinmeng nominated me as leader for a year. I honestly don't know why- I don't even have that many friends and I've never proved myself or anything. I take the position somewhat reluctantly- especially considering that we're in the middle of a werewolf siege. I know I need to be patriotic and do my duty, but I fear that I might not be up to the task.

My immediate undertaking was to order the stopping of all butchering. We've plenty of food, and I'd rather not we kill innocent puppies despite the meat they could provide. I also noticed and approved of the relatively lavish bedrooms granted our dwarves- each with his or her own dining room. I decided that we'd try our hardest to grant that luxury to all of our citizens and I've designated all future bedrooms dug out to be built in that manner.

There were an unusual amount of idlers reported, so I did a little poking around and found that the stair layout was really messing around with a lot of our population. I had a more friendly design established and work picked up as normal.

14th Felsite
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's been a mostly quiet start to my term- continuing the digging and expansion of our industries. I was alerted to the arrival of elven caravans- and conveniently enough the werewolves finally gave up and left us. The elves then began to curiously go into the depths of our fortress- which is when I realized that Magnus had the depot built near some of our bedrooms. While that's fine and dandy and all, I'd prefer a depot that was a little closer to the surface- making things simpler for all parties involved. I've begun the commissioning of a walled in compound, with some workshops for the production of good blocks set up on the surface.

8th Hematite
Oh dear, diplomacy is a tricky beast. I stupidly designated some wooden bins full of crafts to be traded to the sylvians, offending them and causing them to refuse further trade. Luckily, I didn't repeat the mistakes with the dusk elves and I was able to secure some good drink, booze, and spare wood out of the deal. Not like we really need all the spare wood. Our woodcutters been working overtime to clear these weird dead trees out to make room for our surface compound's walls- and as far as I can tell this dead wood is just as good as any other.

3rd Malachite
The merchants have departed so I've had the depot moved to the surface in their wake and- migrants have arrived!

All said and done there were eight in total, bringing up our population to a healthy 28 members. Most of the newcomers were relegated to hauling or to a new squad of men and women I hope to eventually turn into a powerful militia for our defense. Though we'll need to expand our digging operations to find ores for some proper weapons- and our miners are currently backlogged with the bedroom digging. I'm not much of a stickler for efficiency, so I've really let the fortress get hectic in the past few months. No one seems to mind much, but I'm having my personal doubts about my abilities already.

2nd Galena
I heard a commotion from downstairs where I still work in the farms and when I went to check it out, apparently Magnus of all people had been possessed and had kicked everyone out of the workshop where he worked anyways.

He's bringing in all the standard things and... oh dear. He's stopped. He mutters for what I think includes leather and cloth- neither of which we have! Blast it, I totally forgot about this!

Magnus' life is on the line, so I've ordered for the butchering of puppy dogs for their leather. Better them than Magnus.

11th Galena
The frantic scramble for Magnus' life was thankfully brought to an end when a caravan of humans arrived bearing large amounts of all that we needed for his artifact. It cost us an arm and a leg in crafts, since I virtually had to pick out a broker at random with Magnus indisposed, but we got our goods and he started work. I made sure to get as much extra cloth and leather as possible- so that this never happens again.

25th Galena
Magnus built a really nice slate cabinet today.

I let him keep it, since I nearly got him killed in the first place. My peers wonder why I didn't order it for myself, and while it would have been nice, I think Magnus deserves it more. Besides, I'd prefer a nice and simple room.

24th Limestone
The continued work on the bedrooms and surface fortress was punctuated by the appearance of this monstrosity in the caverns.

I wonder how we even figured out that it was there, since the caverns aren't even accessible to our fortress- but everyone insists it's around so I'll believe them. In any case, this puts a hold on one of my smaller plans- a breach into the caverns lined with cage traps for safety. Not that I minded much in either case, but it would have been nice to have access to the caverns for a safe wood supply and extra water. Winter here is brutal, and our only safe water source on the surface freezes over.

6th Sandstone
I had just finished overseeing the last of our bedrooms when even more migrants arrived!

Seven new ones total, most of whom are relegated to hauling or the military. Don't get me wrong, I love new people as much as the next, but this creates a new mess of administrative paperwork for me to sort through. I think I'm getting used to leading- which startles me somewhat. In other news, the first layer of our outside wall is complete- we now have a bridge to cut off access to the outside when it is necessary. Most of the military is also working on building blocks and setting them, so we have a nice taskforce speeding along on the project.

12th Timber
An undead black bear has been scaring our masons, so I've ordered the military after it.

The bear is killed easily, just as the Orcish and Dwarven caravans arrive. I'll just have the military brought in nice and safely and-

Real Time
"Lady Kat, you may want to see this."

"Ushrir? You lead the militia, right? What is it?"

The hardened dwarf just shook his head and pulled Kat to the surface. As they came up, Kat could swore she heard something like shouting and swore she could smell blood. She apprehensively peeked up over the surface of the walls...

The mind flayers had already gotten to work.

14th Timber
The bridge was raised in time and the merchants along with the rest of us are saved- but two were killed buying time for everyone else to be rushed inside- one of our promising marksdwarves, Cog; and a wrestler named Ezum. I feel extraordinary guilt for their deaths- and the injured Ducim, whose plight has forced us to radically update our rather lax hospital conditions. He was also our last decent fighter, meaning that the remainder of our militia is now comprised of untrained wrestlers. I really wish we could get some weapons, but the traders don't have any good metals on them. We can't even let them out anymore, because the mind flayer presence in the area is still strong.

20th Moonstone
A giant, of all things, appeared today. I wasn't able to get a sketch, but he did serve to positive effect by breaking up the illithid siege and buying us time to allow the merchants to escape safely. We're now sealed in, because the giant seems to have some sixth sense and knows when our bridge is down or not.

13th Opal
We apparently got webs for silk- though I have no idea from where. Probably some small cave spider that snuck in then died at the hands of one of our cats.

Wait. We don't have any more cats. I don't know. But there's no way the caverns have been breached.

In other news, the Liaison from the Mountainhomes has apparently been hanging around and finally caught up with Magnus today. We ordered food and metals on a premium, and then realized we'd have to let him out at some point.

14th Opal
Some stonecrafter named Kol has been possessed and has taken over the surface crafts shop I had assigned to creating bolts of bone and wood that were never created. He demands raw gems, cut gems, and metal bars- so we'll probably have to get a caravan at some point for what he needs. I just hope he doesn't die. This job is really wearing me down- I'll be sure to retire the moment this year ends and go back to my precious farming. I'm just not cut out for the complexities of leadership.

15th Opal, Real Time
The dwarves waved the half-naked liaison off, and began ushering the rugged looking humans that appeared as the liaison began walking away. They were a melancholy bunch, these dwarves, as they had been watching two of their brethren rotting away, under strict orders by Kat not to go out and pick up the corpses despite the construction of tombs for that purpose. They grumbled amongst themselves as the humans began unloading their goods.

"Did you see the large man in the distance? He was heading this way?" One of the well armed humans struck up idle conversation with the militia men, who were enviously eying his metal equipment in their own rather pitiful leather.

"Aye, but there's no way that bloke could make it over here in-" The speaker stopped dead. There was a rumbling. Of footsteps, coming over the bridge and-

The giant was upon them before they could do a thing. The Nord charged in with his weapons, the dwarves did likewise despite their lack of armor or armament. Ushrir rained bolts from his new crossbow upon the roaring colossus of a man, but the wooden bolts were little more than splinters to the giant. The giant became the eye of a storm of flesh and blood- dwarves were being pummeled by that massive fist left and right. Soon most of them were severely injured, bleeding internally or externally and staining the ground red with their blood.

The giant beat two of them to death- despite the wounds in virtually every area of his body, he began to charge into the fortress proper.

"He's getting in! He's getting-"

16th Opal
I- I have failed. Completely and utterly failed.

More undead arrived in the middle of it all. And then to cap matters- a siege of scavengers also appeared.

In the end, the only way we were saved was because the Nords broke ranks and fled into the wilderness, drawing the giant out. Along with some of our scared civilians. The worst thing is, I didn't even bat an eyelash when I ordered the bridge closed on four of our civilians still trapped out there. There are seven dead already from the battle- literally an entire wave of migrants wiped out in a single blunder. And I just calmly ordered the rest into the hospital- our medical doctor was one of the injured so a new one has been appointed. The fortress has grinded to a halt. And here I am writing about it all like it's just another ordinary day.

Leadership. I approached it at first with a rather reluctant, yet also somewhat hopeful air. I had thought that I might have a quiet year, that there would be no deaths and perhaps even some progress made. Now I'm just glad we're all not dead. I feel no pain any more. Just a strange tiredness. I sign the orders for new buckets- because we have run out for whatever reason- mechanically. I feel... dead.

20th Opal
A forgotten beast arrived today- I'm told. I didn't even care. We're too busy trying to fix the fort in the aftermath of that disaster. Some tantrums broke out, but overall our psychiatrist has done an unusually good job. The fortress has settled into an eerie normalcy and the population remains 28, and the wounded have mostly stabilized. Come spring, the melting of the ponds should allow us to get water for the wounded with ease.

1st Granite, 93
The people don't want me back, and I don't blame them in the slightest. I'm off to the farms, and hopefully I can just work all my stress away. The next overseer will hopefully not bungle up things as horribly as I did. I've left some notes for the next person to be overseer.

Our stocks remain high, fortunately.

The most immediate concern are these four civilians trapped outside. Immediately beneath them I have constructed an emergency access route to the fortress which should be sealed off by doors. Note that I'm not positive if this is an entirely safe venture or not, that will be up to the next overseer. I just can't process anything anymore.

Kol is still making demands for his mood. Hopefully, the Scavengers siege will break before the next caravan arrives. Exploratory mining has grinded to a halt, so that should be picked up again.

None of the wounded have yet to fully recover. For that matter even Ducim has yet to recover from the Mind Flayer attacks. I wouldn't be surprised if they all die from infection anyways, given our lack of soap.

I don't even know what to write any more, so I'm ending it now.

Yeah, it was a largely quiet year minus the death of seven dwarves due to a stupid mistake I made when letting the Nord caravan in that allowed the giant to reign havoc upon us. Fort's stable now, but it's still largely a mess.

The save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4455

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 02:49:24 pm by Katsuun »

Sans context.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 02:09:57 pm »

Dusk and Ezrakim Elves accept wood.
EDIT: Just finished reading the logs AWESOME TURN! That was well written and things are shaping up well!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 02:21:07 pm by Ahrimahn »

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 02:43:18 pm »

Yeah, I just happened to give it to the elves that don't happen to accept wood.

Sans context.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 10:48:35 pm »

Is anyone willing to take the next turn?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 11:55:45 pm »

Just posting to watch and to say that I think a Genesis-based Succession Game is a cool idea!  8)
Looks like this got off to a nice start, too.

Someday down the road I might find the spare time to participate in something like this. But, alas, it's not possible for me ATM...  :(
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5